Here is the next chapter in the ongoing saga of the Winkler County nurses, Anne Mitchell and Vickilyn Galle.
If I recall, the doctor involved was fined and reprimanded by the medical board. The sheriff and county attorney are also up for prosecution.
Please read the following article from Modern Healthcare and feel free to leave them a comment, or come back here and leave me a comment.
By Paul Barr
Stan Wiley, former hospital administrator of Winkler County Memorial Hospital, Kermit Texas, pleaded guilty to abuse of official capacity for his role in the firing of two nurses who had complained about a doctor to the Texas Medical Board, according to the Texas attorney general’s office.
Wiley was sentenced to 30 days in the Winkler County Jail by visiting Judge Robert H. Moore III as part of a plea deal in which he has agreed to cooperate in the prosecution of three other defendants, according to a news release from the attorney general’s office, which is prosecuting the case because the Winkler County District Attorney recused himself from the proceedings.
Also being prosecuted are former Winkler County Memorial Hospital physician Dr. Rolando Arafiles, Winkler County Sheriff Robert Roberts and Winkler County Attorney Scott Tidwell. Arafiles recently was fined $5,000, publicly reprimanded and required to undergo training and oversight by the state medical board .
Wiley, Arafiles, Roberts and Tidwell were indicted in January for allegedly retaliating against two nurses who had reported Arafiles to the state medical board in 2009 for actions they believed were endangering hospital patients.
The two nurses, Anne Mitchell and Vickilyn Galle, settled with Winkler County for $750,000 in August, according to their attorneys.
Read more at: Modern Healthcare
- Former Winkler County Hospital Administrator Pleads Guilty, Must Serve Jail Time (gruntdoc.com)
- Top Winkler officials indicted | indicted, winkler, officials – Government – Odessa American Online (gruntdoc.com)
- Dr. Arafiles arrested – Winkler County (gruntdoc.com)
- Doctor Arrested in Whistle-Blowing Case (nytimes.com)
- Sheriff and Prosecutor Charged in Texas Whistle-Blowing Case (nytimes.com)
- The Real Criminals Here: Justice is Served in Winkler County, Texas, Whistleblower Case (ajnoffthecharts.com)
- Physician who had nurses prosecuted is placed on probation | State | News from Fort Wort… (gruntdoc.com)
- I love the smell of irony in the morning. It smells like…schadenfreude (scienceblogs.com)
- When Patient Safety Trumps All: Conversations With the Texas Whistleblower Nurses (ajnoffthecharts.com)